Medical Notes Turns One
One year ago today I wrote the first issue of Medical Notes. I put together some links and sent them to 18 subscribers from my old newsletter. I later switched to writing about digital health. The number today is 113 (+628%).
The absolute number might not look like a lot. But it makes 113 a giant success when considering that my social media following is not big and the fact that most of the followers and connections came because of Medical Notes.
What did I learn during this year?
- Building and writing are easier than marketing, but great content requires great marketing.
- Starting a paid newsletter with a small audience is almost impossible, but worth a shot.
- The number of subscribers doesn’t matter if they don’t open your emails.
- You’ll be consistent if you enjoy the topic, but don’t stress if you miss an issue here or there.
- Ghost CMS is wonderful for newsletters.
Would I change anything? Nope, I learned way too much.
What can I do differently? Promote more and write less code.
What’s next? I’ll write it until I have the will and joy to do so. We’ll see after that.